Friday, November 29, 2013

A Holiday Reflection



Each year as the holidays approach, I can’t help but notice an increase in the number of unfortunate people weaving through our society and it bothers me. It bothers me because I know I am unable to help them and, of course, I know I can’t help everyone. I am also wise enough to realize that some of them wouldn’t want my help even if I could help them and that in itself is cause for sadness. Often times, I find myself wondering what may have caused them to be living the lives they are. Was it drugs, alcohol, abuse or loss of family or loved ones? The reasons could be many and extremely complex but it all seems to boil down to a true loss of hope; loss of hope in themselves; loss of hope due to lack of employment; or loss of hope with a society that keeps promising better lives for all but never seems to encompass everyone. As a result of my reflection on the matter, I wrote the following poem:


Shadows Amongst Us


 
Up each morning
They follow routine
Arrange slovenly selves
Though not much fuss
Those days passé

With gnarled fingers
They gather their things
And ready for adventures
They’ll encounter
Throughout their day

First stop’s the diner
To get a cup of joe
Maybe a muffin
Or a doughnut
No one really knows

Shopping’s next
Never varies
They prowl their domain
With predacious eyes
For a good score

Weather’s no factor
They’ve braved it all
Though a few times
They’ve flirted
With sickness and death

They have no friends
No else cares
Except to grab
What they can
When opportunity arises

They’re alone
Yet replicas of thousands
All outcasts
And all
By-products of society

Shadows amongst us
Of something gone wrong
They scavenge dumpsters
For garbage and clothing
And live in cardboard boxes

Ragamuffins
Quite content
With their paltry existence
Who snub the contributors
And condescenders of their kind

It’s a tough life
One chosen or not
For reasons
Only they can explain
But never do

Up each morning
Society follows routine
Vowing changes
Without truthful conviction
Those days passé 

Chelle Munroe©
November 29, 2013
 




1 comment: