Monday, September 16, 2013

Fire and Rain



                       I’m not quite sure how to express this, in fact, I’m almost embarrassed to even mention it out loud but what happened to me one day needs to be told. Well, at least I think it does. In any event, let me get to it before I lose your interest altogether.
     Two years ago, I was at the beach and it started to rain, which wasn’t unusual except that it was only raining where I stood. When I moved, the rain followed me and I started for my car.  As I approached the vehicle, I noticed a pole with a hose attached and couldn’t recall having seen it there when I first parked. Above the pole was a small sign with the words:  “Fire Hose, to stop the rain, just point the nozzle toward the cloud and squeeze the handle”.  Naturally, like most people, I looked around to see if it was a hoax, but not seeing anyone or anything that resembled a set-up, I allowed my curiosity to see what would happen.
     With hose in hand, I pointed it toward the cloud and squeezed the handle.  To my utter surprise, flaming balls shot out of the nozzle and burst into the cloud. I let go of the handle and cautiously studied the opening of the nozzle. Then I walked over to the pole but couldn’t see any connections and when I tried to lift it, I couldn’t.  It was still raining on me so I pointed the nozzle upwards and once again squeezed the handle.  Sure enough, balls of fire shot out of the end like a machine gun.  There was a lot of steam and hissing as they hit the cloud and I could see they were drying it up.  After a few minutes, the rain stopped and so did the fire.  No matter how tightly I squeezed the handle, I couldn’t get the hose to produce any more fire balls.
     Needless to say, my eyes darted from one spot to another to see if someone was lurking in the bushes having a great laugh at my expense. I even walked over to a few of them to physically inspect them, only to discover there was no one there nor were there any hidden cameras.  My mind switched gears and I realized I must have been dreaming because it was impossible for a cloud to rain on one individual and equally impossible for a hose connected to nothing to produce spheres of fire.  I figured if I got back into the car I’d wake up and everything would be okay.  Twenty minutes or so went by and nothing seemed to have changed.  Not sure what to do, I climbed back out of the car and when I looked to the spot where the pole and hose were, they were gone.
    Relieved I was awake; I strolled back to the water’s edge and sucked in the wonderfully refreshing salt-air.  A minute or two later, it started to rain again and when I glanced upwards, I noticed that it was just one little cloud hanging over my body.  Instantaneously, I spun around and immediately spotted the pole with the hose attached.  Although I knew what was going to happen, I felt compelled to grab the hose and aim it toward the cloud where rapid balls of fire sprayed and dried it up.
     Then, for whatever reason, I grabbed one of the balls of fire before it went completely out. To my disbelief, it didn’t burn at all. More surprisingly, it had a jellylike substance rather than a gaseous one.  I threw it to the ground, hopped into my car and drove away.
                 At home, I went to bed and fell asleep.  When I awoke, I lazily glanced at the clock.  It was then that I knew I had been sleeping and the strange occurrences at the beach had never happened except in my dream.  Getting up, I left the house, got into my car and automatically drove to the beach feeling somewhat foolish I might add that I had to prove to myself it couldn’t have happened for real.  It was dark out by the time I reached my destination and as soon as I stepped from the car, it started to rain. I couldn’t believe it.  I reached into the car, snatched up my flashlight and pointed it to where the pole had been earlier.  To my dismay it reflected the beam of light back at me.  I jumped into the car, spun it around and sped out of there as fast as I could.  As far as I know, the individual rain cloud and the fire hose are still there as I have never returned to find out.                                                                                                                                 Chelle Munroe© 
September 15, 2013                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment